Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Undergound becoming Overground?


Recently Chris brown and Tyga collaborated on a mix tape entitled Fan of a Fan. Like most mix tapes this album has songs that are less censored then the music we hear on the radio. Well the other day I was gracing You tube and I noticed that Chris Brown had a video for No Bullshit as well as he and Tyga had a video for deuces.(both songs off the album)I began to think. These songs were off mix tapes not album and they had videos. In my opinion that’s intense for mixtape purposes.
For those who may not know the difference an album is something that is produced by a record label. It’s more official and profit is made off of it. Mixtapes are underground (without label) For new artist a mix tape might be composed of freestyles over another rapper's beat, remixes and original songs. For an artist that is already established they might use a mix tape to put out songs that didn’t make the album.
No matter what a mix tape its generally still and underground thing and there is not much to it but the music. But it seems that now mix tapes are becoming much more than unreleased songs and remixes. Last year when Drake released ‘So Far Gone’, there was a video for ‘Best I Ever Had’, and Nicki Minaj has only released mix tapes as a solo artists.
So what do you think? Should underground music stay where it is or be right in there with the mainstream? Well any who I do think in my Zone should be exposed, so follow the link and take a listen . My favorite song it is ‘Ain't Thinking Bout You’ Could Brezzy be talking about Rhianna?

http://www.livemixtapes.com/main.php?search=fan+of+a+fan

2 comments:

  1. I love this mixtape! This is a good duo. I think mixtapes artist are cool with putting out videos for their music as long as they don't sell out to do so because underground is supposed to be all about not being mainstream and/or going against mainstream constraints. I love both of the videos you mentioned. I also bang with In My Zone as well, and I love Big Booty Judy. I do believe Mr. Brown is talking about his lost love on Ain't Thinking About You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this blog was unique. I think that the pictures bring the blog out and gives it a very intriguing presence to the blog. It catches your eye.

    ReplyDelete