Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hip-Hop Honors Pt. 1

So tonight, well last night by time I post this, VH1 showed Hip-Hop Honors: Dirty South! So being that Virginia was include I was extra excited. As a lover of music I felt horrible not knowing who some of the honorees were.


Well anyway, the show was broadcasted on VH1 and opened with Luke, Pitbull, Trick daddy and Ludacris honoring J. Prince Going with the of theme dirty south they had half naked girls dancing with stripper poles. J. Prince quoted that “ The east coast is a piece of bread, the west coast is a piece of bread, but the dirty south is the meat” . I enjoyed that quote, I feel the south as a whole doesn’t get much recognition for its music, and in actuality it’s done a lot. Anyway, The Game ,Juvenile, Drake, Bun B also performed for this honoree. It didn’t really excite me because I didn’t know ANY the music.



The first honoree that I could relate to was Jemaine Dupri, from the south side of ATL. As a producer he’s brought so many rappers into the game. Among them Franchise boyz, (Fresh in my white tee)Lil Bow wow,Da Brat, and Kriss Kross. Lil Jon ,Bow Wow , & Franchice Boyz started this set of performances with “Oh I think they like me “ and then Jermaine came out and spit his verse of “Money ain’t a thing.” I think the crowd favorite of this section was Bow Wow performing “Jump Jump.” They ended with “Welcome to Atlanta.” I didn’t understand why Diddy came out only to Lip sync his verse about New York… I thought we were reppin’ the South.


Next in line to be honored was Master P from New Orleans! Mystical, Silk the Shocker, Lil’ Romeo, Gucci man, & Trina all honored Master P. with their performances. The only two songs I recognized were “That’s cool” and the first hit of No Limit Records “Make Em Say Uhhhh. “ Side note – despite my non care for Romeo’s talent the boy is FINE! Pt 2. Will be up tomorrow, I posted some links to YouTube vids, of the songs performed, not performances,but songs performed.


2 comments:

  1. I don't see the links but here they are, sorry I didn't notice earlier.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQSHAfzU5ks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OneCB0R6rpc

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN8WeadBW1o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for doing this as a topic. I loved the fact that the South was recognized alone on the Hip Hop Honors. I didn't like the 2 Live Crew performance. Also, I disliked the performances of all the Floridians, with the exception of Trina and Rick Ross.

    ReplyDelete