Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hip Hop Honors: Dirty South Pt.2


Hip Hop Honors:Dirty South continued.

Next they honored the city of Atlanta. Among the performing artist T.I. ,Guccin , ying-yang twins, Lil’ Jon and Bone crusher,
The first song they did was “Wasted”, now granted I like this song, I don’t feel this was hip-hop honor worthy.Next was “I Ain’t Never Scared” I love that song, it was one of the first in the crunk music era. Then they finished up with party favorite song Get Low!

So finally they did the state I was waiting for all night, VIRGINIA! Producer from VA beach, Timberland was the specific honoree. I’m super fond of Virginia obviously being that VA music is the reason this blog started. Performers included of course Missy Elliot, Keri Hilson, Bun B, and Fabulous. Songs included “Big Pimping”, “Make me Better”, “The way I are”, “Get your Freak On”, and “Work it”. As a naitive Virginian I was a little disappointed with the repertoire they chose.I wish they would have done some older stuff, like Timberland and Magoo,(Ex. “Ups Jumps the Boogie”) or even his verse from “Are You That Somebody?”. I liked the clips of him talking between the performances.

Other honorees included The Two Livee Crew 0_o. They basically honored themselves.

Organized Noise, the people behind Outkast and Goodie Mob, were honored. Nelly,Ashter Roth all performed. They pulled out “So Fresh, So Clean”. Another spotlight moment of the show was when Asther Roth came out and rocked “It’s Saturday”.

To wrap up the show they honored the state of Miami. Trina, Florida, DJ Khalid were among the performers for that set.

***Side Note: Also at some point Lil’ Flip and some others did some Texas stuff as well.***

Over all I enjoyed the show. I thought the structure was a little awkward, like the way they were doing some states alone, as oppose to people from states. If you didn’t catch you know VH1 is going to replay it. So try to catch it and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think your suggestions for VA songs were much better than the ones performed on the award because I would've liked to see more old school VA songs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that sometimes the best way to get an audience is to go back a bit. Use the songs they are used to hearing. Like you said, no old songs does sound disappointing.

    ReplyDelete